FROM THE LOG #65

A major refit
Scorpio received a serious face-lift

Navigate the Reports

 

mess
Re-arranging some wiring
(Click on any photo or map for a blow up)

We've done several major refits during the 19 years we have been cruising aboard Scorpio. The latest, which is illustrated in this report, is the second largest project we have undertaken. Only the refit in Finland, at Swan Centre in 1995-96, was more extensive. This report is not a complete resumé of what was done, but we wanted to give you an idea what it was all about.


Not mushrooms, but new plugs to be cut.

The major areas of this projects were:

1. Bottom: Removal of 13 years of anti fouling paint (ca 33 coats) and stripping down to the barrier coat (International-Gelshield, applied 1998). Let dry out for 6 months. Application of 5 coats of West System epoxy followed by 4 coats of International's Interprotect and then 3 coats of anti fouling (International's Interswift). The hull was in sound condition apart from two patches where filler had delaminated, on leading edges of keel and rudder skeg, which were repaired (2 of the photos above).

We also raised the water line by about two inches (which is indicated on the photo above, middle of upper row).

2. Topsides: Sanding, fairing and reparing scratches and some minor blisters at the old water line (where water had been in constant contact with topside paint above anti-fouling area), then repainting. We used Alexseal Oyster white (the blue line is called Aristo blue). This work required that the port holes were taken out, as can be seen on the photos below.

3. Deck: All fibre glass surfaces were sanded, repaired and painted with the same colour as the top sides. The aluminium steering console was also painted. The teak deck was lightly sanded and plugs and caulking was replaced were required. Teak ribbons next to stanchion pole bases were replaced because of confrontation with "corrosion powers" (see below). (Update 2012: A year later we decided to renew the whole teak deck, so all the sanding and patching and re-plugging proved to be in vain. Look here fore a summary of part 2 of the renovation in 2011-12)

All deck hardware, such as pul- and pushpits, rails, lifeline stanchion poles, fittings for anchors, antennas etc. were taken off, cleaned and polished. All lifelines were replaced with new, including terminals.

4. Interior: All wood finishes were sanded and repaired or replaced as required, then revarnished using Epiphanes varnishes. Several new joinery details were designed and fabricated.

All of the upholstery and curtains were replaced with new fabric.

5. Sails: All the sails of our "regular costume" were replaced with new Rolly Tasker sails; fully battened main, 135% offshore genoa and mizzen. The sail covers were also replaced.

Steering console being re-painted
Aft cabin stripped
Toilet with a view, both toilets were replaced
Pullpit being polished
All stainless hardware was taken off and polished.
Outboard holding pad was replaced.
Lifelines were replaced and stanchion poles polished

6. Corrosion: We decided to take a particularly close look at areas were corrosion between aluminium and stainless was likely, both on deck and in the rigging (See photos below. Anyone planning on buying a second hand yacht should look at these photos closely).

8. Miscellaneous: Both toilet bowls including mounting hardware were replaced, anchor windlass taken to a work shop, stripped, serviced and repainted. Some blocks and other hardware refabricated, windwane serviced and replacement parts fabricated.

Corrosion between aluminium and stainless
Solid aluminium becomes oxide, which is pushing up the stanchion base
The aluminium area on the left photo taken off.
The 2 other pieces are parts of a cut seacock
This section is being rebuilt
The old list has been replaced
The stanchion pole base was too close to the teak and when the base was pushed up it lifted the wood

9. Electrical and plumbing: Both battery banks (house + starter) were replaced with new, and a new 80A Mass Chargemaster battery charger was installed. The bilge pump and two other pumps were replaced with new and some plumbing was replaced. New running lights were installed.

10. Engine: The Propeller shaft was taken out and inspected and straightened. The engine mounts were replaced.

Anchor windlass taken out for service
All hardware was cleaned and polished
Seacocks being serviced and/or replaced
(This is a normal procedure every year)

Please. turn to next report for some beautiful photos of the yacht and it's details after the renovation was finished.

View a (manual) slide show of the photos of this report HERE.

Update 2012: A year later, after an unplanned return to Thailand, we resumed with an equally extensiv refit. Look HERE fore a summary of part 2 of the renovation, in 2011-12.

previous
next
top