FROM THE LOG #66

Photos of Scorpio after the face-lift
Guess it was worth it after all

Navigate the Reports

 


Welcome aboard
(Click on any photo or map for a blow up)
When the refit project was finally over, I was almost as exhausted as Santa Claus on the photo below.
We'll let most of the photos of this report speak for themselves. Bottom line is, that it appears that the end-result proofs it was worth all the effort.
There are also some other photos of the finished interior in an earlier report (#64): HERE.
We designed a new hatch for the companionway, photo above left. This is lockable from both inside and outside, but lets the air flow through the saloon and keeps the bugs (and other intruders) on the outside. Both toilets are new, including the mounting brackets.
Forepeak
Engine looking pretty good
View of the navstation. Click on it for large photo with explanation of the instruments.
Below is an example of how to keep your gear in shape. This is our 32 year old Sailomat 3040 windvane looking almost like new! It was taken completely apart, cleaned, polished, some new parts fabrictaed, and voilá .. a well functioning extra helmsman!
Below we illustrate the "before, during and after" of a deck repair. We did this practically around all the stanchion pole bases on deck. The reason was, that the corrosion between aluminium (the rail) and stainless (the base) produces aluminium oxide, that pushes the base upwards (see photo in previous report, here). And because the teak ribbon was too close to the base, the ribbon was also pushed upwards. (Update: Please note that a year later we ripped off the whole deck and laid a new one, so we actually did this repair in vain.)
The area to be cut out is marked with a felt pen.
The old plank is taken out
The new plank is in place with proper caulking
around stanchion base
Above (left) is the anchor chain color-marked to help monitoring length of chain laid out. On the right is an example of what a skilled mechanic can produce. The old block was made of aluminium, which had corroded badly (3rd piece from left). We had new parts done from stainless and new sheves from nylon. Cost per block was 25€ instead of 150€ for a new one! We had about half a dozen similar blocks made. We also replaced a lot of the halyards, sheets and other lines.

Back in the water again. We'll collect some more photos of the interior later (right now the salon and aft cabins are a mess), but now is the time to start crossing the Indian Ocean.

View the photos of this report as a (manual) slide show HERE.

previous
next
top